In the heart of the Delta, Bolivar County is fortunate to have a host of unmatched assets ranging from Delta State University and its music institute to industry partners such as Baxter Pharmaceuticals – not to mention the region’s strong agricultural heritage and its burgeoning arts and culture scene. All with the geographic advantage of sitting adjacent to the Mississippi River. The opportunities to be leveraged are numerous.
With a strong entrepreneurial spirit and a skilled manufacturing workforce, there is abundant opportunity to grow and expand a business in the region. In addition, the Port of Rosedale is one of the county's strongest assets, allowing for global connectivity. From there, unique assets set Bolivar County competes.
- USA (Interstates, including future 69 connection)
- Southeast (current and future Interstates and U.S. Highways)
- Mississippi Region (with Mississippi River, Ports, Railroads, current and future Interstates and U.S. Highways)
- Bolivar County and surrounding counties (with Mississippi River, Ports, Railroads, current and future Interstates and U.S. Highways)
Port of Rosedale
Mississippi's top port in service and dependability, the Port of Rosedale offers fast turns, flexibility and competitive pricing. With excellent connections currently in place and significant investments in additions and improvements underway, businesses are able to move product faster with strategic multi-modal access.
- A total intermodal facility, offering unrivaled access to both the lower Mississippi River and the Arkansas River navigation systems.
- Strategically located only 100 miles from Memphis, TN and within a 500-mile radius of major markets, including Houston, Birmingham and Atlanta.
- Temperate climate and all-weather capacity, ensuring nonstop productivity year-round.
Visit the Port of Rosedale Website
The region is in proximity to several airports, the closest being the Cleveland Municipal Airport, which is home to both Delta State and Blues Air Commercial Aviation program. Delta State University's Department of Commercial Aviation has the university's only undergraduate and graduate aviation programs. Students prepare for opportunities in the aviation industry including airlines, aircraft manufacturing, airport management, air traffic control, military aviation and logistics.
- Cleveland Municipal Airport (KRNV) – a General Aviation Airport facility located in Bolivar County, Mississippi, is owned by the City of Cleveland and located two miles northwest of the city's central business district.
- Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN) – located 130 miles southeast of Cleveland, just outside Jackson, MS, JAN offers multiple carriers to cities throughout the eastern U.S. and beyond.
- Memphis International Airport (MEM) – located 100 miles north of Cleveland, just outside Memphis, TN, MEM's new renovated terminals offer passengers more than 30 nonstop flight destinations throughout the U.S. and Cancun.
The Bolivar County region offers direct access to U.S. Route 61, a major highway extending 1,400 miles from Louisiana to Minnesota. Additionally, highways 1, 8 and 32 provide excellent roadway access, increasing the region’s ease and speed to market.
- The future Interstate 69 expansion is expected to finish in 2024 and will create a connected, four-way highway corridor across the state. This speedier access to global markets means increased competitiveness for companies in the region.
The region is served by Canadian National Railway, a Class 1 rail carrier extending over 20,000 miles throughout the United States and Canada. These regional railway connections offer access that insures efficient links to domestic and global markets.
- Canadian National is dedicated to investing in Mississippi’s railways. As part of its efforts to support growing demands and enable supply chains, they have invested approximately $50 million in railway improvements in the state.
- Additional improvements in rail service are coming soon with the renovation of the branch short-line rail operation operated by the Port of Rosedale.